Monday, March 9, 2009

OBX, coincidences and John Lennon

Spring break is officially over. I went to the Outer banks with my roommates Erin and Kristina and our two friends Kyle and Rodney. We had a good time.

I've been noticing a lot of coincidences/deja vu type events. For example, while driving back from North Carolina on Saturday, I kept realizing that I was always the last one. There were never cars behind me but always cars in front of me. Whenever I stopped at a light, I would be fourth or fifth in line but ALWAYS last. I focused on being the last car a little obsessively, as I kept checking my mirrors at every light or stop to see if anyone was going to come up behind me. I didn't say anything to Rodney or Kristina, though. Then yesterday, I was riding in the passenger's seat of my friend Kyle's truck and he pointed out that he is always the last car to be waiting at lights...that he always thinks about how weird it is that cars are always in front of him and never behind him. I was so shocked to hear him say that that I basically screamed ME TOO!

One of the days I was in OBX, I was relaxing and "getting profound". I found myself thinking about what are the biggest effects our environment has on people which lead me to think about exposure. I thought about censorship and what types of things I was/was not exposed to as a child. I remembered watching the Columbine shooting live at Miss. Jean's (my babysitter) house. I thought about how seeing that at nine years old may or may not have been right. Then, about an hour later, we turned on the tv to find a special on E about the most brutal public shoot-outs in our country's past. Columbine was ranked second while Virginia Tech came in first. It was really uncanny, though, because I rarely ever think about Columbine anymore.

This isn't coincidental or anything, but driving back from OBX I saw a man walking on an overpass. I was looking at him from far away because he was walking pretty slow looking up at the sky. He stopped in the middle and looked down right as I was about to drive under him and he looked exactly like John Lennon! He had the round glasses, the long hair, facial hair..but too bad he died in 1980 and even if he hadn't, he wouldn't look like he did in his thirties! But, some part of me likes to think that maybe it was him.

Even though most of you don't know why, please send me some luck today!

1 comment:

gillian said...

GOOD LUCK--- tell me what it's for haha